Sunday, January 5, 2014

my new friends (and a couple of dinners)

In Cornwall we are staying with Chris, who has three babies who like to sit next to me while I eat:
Finn and Jaz

Me and Gracie, on a 6 mile run this morning
Paul SO wants a dog and this is only stoking his fire.  I've never had a dog so I don't have childhood nostalgia like he does (childhood dog: Fleur, a red setter) but I will grudgingly admit these dogs are very sweet, and I can only relate to their enthusiasm at the sight of a biscuit.

With our temporarily unemployed lifestyle we are also doing a bit of cooking and trying some more excellent English products.  Last night Paul made a lasagna with wholewheat organic pasta (cheap from Tescos) and a delicious vegan cashew, hazelnut and basil pesto from the local health shop:


With a lentil topping, and served with steamed broccoli and a side of mushrooms sauteed in the pesto. Delicious, and a real rib sticker in the cold cold endlessly cold English weather.

Also, I made a coconut curry with heaps of fresh ginger, garlic, chilli, onion and a bit of miso to taste (I'm into miso, its supposed to be anti-breast cancer).  You can get packs of coconut meat here which you reconstitute with boiling water, which makes for a thicker and quite peanuty curry which someone tastes more authentic than a can of coconut milk.  We put in a pile of different veg, and splash of tamari sauce and served with organic brown rice and wakame noodles:
I probably could have thinned down the coconut milk a bit, because it was super thick and because of that the noodles were a bit heavy - however it was totally delicious and I can't wait to use that coconut again.

Also good?  After my daily six mile run (about 10km, but I'm trying to use the local terms as OUT OF DATE as miles are), porridge, made with moon oats, which make for a very creamy and delicious thick porridge (served with a blob of manuka honey, which tastes like home).
England: still weird, but its getting a bit better :)

1 comment:

  1. I would love to spend some more time in England with a kitchen - the variety of products is super impressive! Not just vegan-specific things, but all the multicultural ones, too. You've put lots to good use here!

    ReplyDelete